If you want to boost your freelance writing business in 2016 here are some resolutions you can make to help you boost your business:
- Create a business vision that defines who you want to be, who you want to work for and what you want to do (can do).
- Determine the types of documents or articles you can write based on your experience.
- Determine the sectors (or types of publications) you can write for based on your knowledge — education, experience, volunteer work.
- Find clients or publications in those sectors, including contacts.
- Spend time you are not working for pay marketing yourself and your writing services.
- Define what marketing you can do, including :
- build/edit your website; make sure points 1 to 3 are reflected in your website copy
- use social media strategically to get your name out there
- generate repeat business by contacting previous customers (editors or corporate clients) to see if they can use you again
- generate testimonials and referrals from previous clients
- cold call (or email) potential clients (at least three times per week); write and send out a minimum of two query letters per week — see point #4
- network with friends, relatives and associates
- advertise and promote your business in appropriate publications or on appropriate websites
- If you need to build experience, write for free for one client (ideally a not-for-profit one); make sure that you can use the client as a reference.
- Set a professional development agenda including books to read and courses to take.
Feel free to add your thoughts to this list in the comments section.